Thursday, October 17, 2013

Birth of a Blog

Friends of mine can tell you that I've been a fan of the Fantasy genre since early childhood.  I've spent countless hours immersed in other worlds, living through the ups and downs of a seemingly endless parade of protagonists.  Somewhere along the road I reached a point where, while many stories were still provoking or entertaining, they weren't telling the stories that I wanted to read.  It's a standard tale for many aspiring writers, I know.
    This is not a writing blog.  I'm honestly just getting started with the true honing of that skill.  This is not a blog about how to make contacts within the industry.  I'm trying to learn all that too.  I can't tell you about how to self-publish or build a better web site.  This might lead you to ask, "What are you good for then?"  to which I would answer "world building."
    Obviously,  being a Fantasy fan from way back led me to doing a fair amount of reading on Medieval History, even going so far as to taking a number of courses on the subject in college (which left me with some great reference books).  Also, when I look back on why I decided on a Geology degree, I recognize that I was mostly interested in it because of the storytelling aspect.  "How did this world come to be the way it is?"  I get that the genre of Fantasy, by definition, does not require the author to be historically or factually accurate (related to the real world).  However, one of the things I've found in my early attempts is that too much freedom can be as daunting as too little. 
    This blog is intended to be a bit of a running history of the questions I ask myself, or encounter as I build my world.  It will cover a broad range of topics and some times may just be info dumps about cool things I've uncovered or sources that I've found helpful.  One of the things I love about this process is that as I learn more about how things work and fit together, new stories suggest themselves.  Granted, not all of this effort will end up in the final story, but I feel better if I know how or why things work.
    As a final note, I would ask that any of you who may be reading this to feel free and offer up additional notes or information on the topics covered.  If you have a topic to suggest, I'm always interested.  It is a big world and there is always more to learn. 
    

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to some good reading. Good stuff Benno. - Matt E., Denver

    ReplyDelete